Welcome to my blog!

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." -Dr. Seuss

Thanks for stopping by. I really hope that you take something away from this blog, even if it's just a book recommendation that leads you to a new series or new author that you will enjoy. I know that by keeping this blog, it's encouraging me to try new genres and to expand my horizons as far as reading new books, rereading old, and I'm even inspired to read the classics that I've missed. Because I'm a mom of four, I'll also be adding children's books into my reviews as I try to spend time reading with my kids on a regular basis. So why not review those as well and share them with you?

Books, for me, have always been great escapes. I remember being stranded on the island with the Swiss Family Robinson when I was 10 years old and it was a great place to be as I was having a rough childhood at the time. I flew away with Peter Pan and traveled with Meg through wrinkles in time, in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. Now that I mostly read 'grown up' books, I don't travel to islands but I do live in someone else's world (or mind) for a while and it's a great way to get away from it all even if for a short time every day.

Enjoy my blog and as always, happy reading!

Karen

New England is home

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Lonely Mile by Allan Leverone


http://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Mile-Allan-Leverone/dp/0615547117/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323737715&sr=1-1

The Lonely Mile by Allan Leverone

This book was quite a ride.  It definitely makes you question yet again, getting involved when you see a crime in progress.  Our hero, Bill Ferguson, has no choice but to get involved.


This is a great suspense thriller based on three of the scariest encounters one could have, a serial killer, kidnapped by a human trafficker and someone you should be able to trust turning on you causing the floor to fall out from under your feet at the worst moment in your life.


This book was a ride and a half and I seriously enjoyed every moment of it. Besides the plot, the story, the writing, I also really loved that the chapters are short...and the way that you hear from everyone's point of view. So one chapter from the killer's point of view, one from the captor's point of view, one from the savior's point of view, etc. There are also some mystery points of views in there that leave you guessing throughout the book. I kept saying...okay, this chapter is only a few pages, I'll just read THIS one and then go to the bathroom...or I'll just read this next one and then I'll go do the laundry. LOL.


I also loved the basis for the title "The Lonely Mile". It reminded me a little bit about the speech that Tom Hanks gives in Cast Away after he is rescued and after he see's his girlfriend and realizes she is going to go on with her life the way she has been living it during the four years he has been gone. And he realizes that he has to keep going...no matter what and shares this with his best friend right before he takes off on his road trip to find the Angel Wings woman. The moment that Bill Ferguson discusses his lonely mile with his ex happens before the book takes place but it reminds me of life going on...no matter what...whether you want it to or not.


I cannot give you anymore information on this book because...it's a suspenseful thriller and I am not going to ruin it.  i will say this, I will be purchasing Allan's other books on a regular basis and will follow him as I do Stephen King.  I am not just saying that because I work with his Sister in Law and her kids used to babysit mine either.  LOLOL.


Seriously though, I do rate this book five out of five stars.  I am usually generous because I feel badly rating something badly.  But I am asking myself as I write this if I feel in any way that this book or writing style or anything about it deserves less and I honestly can say no.  


The fact that the chapters are short....wow, that is my favorite writing style.  LOVE LOVE LOVE that...because you can always "just read one more chapter before I go to bed"  LOLOL.


So five stars.  Read it...if you like thrillers...James Patterson, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, etc? Do not hesitate to purchase, borrow, take out from the library, order, download, steal, whatever,  this book.


Okay, I am going to say that I thought I had already posted this review...but when I looked back tonight it seemed to have gone missing so I am posting it again....so I apologize if it's somewhere on my site that I am not seeing.  But the good ones, You have to ensure that the good ones are getting posted




Best,


Critical Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment