Welcome to my blog!

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." -Dr. Seuss

Thanks for stopping by. I really hope that you take something away from this blog, even if it's just a book recommendation that leads you to a new series or new author that you will enjoy. I know that by keeping this blog, it's encouraging me to try new genres and to expand my horizons as far as reading new books, rereading old, and I'm even inspired to read the classics that I've missed. Because I'm a mom of four, I'll also be adding children's books into my reviews as I try to spend time reading with my kids on a regular basis. So why not review those as well and share them with you?

Books, for me, have always been great escapes. I remember being stranded on the island with the Swiss Family Robinson when I was 10 years old and it was a great place to be as I was having a rough childhood at the time. I flew away with Peter Pan and traveled with Meg through wrinkles in time, in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. Now that I mostly read 'grown up' books, I don't travel to islands but I do live in someone else's world (or mind) for a while and it's a great way to get away from it all even if for a short time every day.

Enjoy my blog and as always, happy reading!

Karen

New England is home

Friday, May 11, 2012

The Plain Truth by Jodi Piccoult




Sorry, the add the link and image button wasn't working so I had to add a different way. I hope it works!



Upon starting this book, I was hooked immediately, wanted to keep reading but I will say there were parts of it that were a bit unbelievable; The book is about a crime that happens in the world of the Amish...so there are crimes that are just against God in the world of the Amish, then there are crimes that are not allowed in the land of the law as well. There are some times when I started to think that Jodi was bringing us into some really forbidden territory but no, she didn't go there (sexual abuse between older brother and younger sister). In other words, my mind was guessing all over the place though I did guess the right answer a few times during the read, but my mind would shy away from that answer and back down a different road thinking that what I read couldn't be the truth.

The part that was unbelievable to me is the actual house arrest part with the lawyer staying on the farm...seriously? Most likely wouldn't happen...so I had to let that go in order to enjoy the read. Let's see...a lot has been going on in my life recently and I finished this book a while ago so am trying to remember all I have to say about it Oh there were other parts of the book that were different...strange...different...and probably not really needed for the storyline so I questioned what the author was doing with the character...maybe just seeing if she COULD write about that type of a character or figure? For those of you that are going to read this...I'm talking about the ice skating sister on the lake. You'll see what I mean. I liked it...a very sad story...a heartfelt glimpse into the mystery of the Amish world as seen by Jodi Piccoult.

I like the way Jodi writes...though this time there were different story line threads that didn't seem to go anywhere...and though they tied up a little at the end...you were still left wondering in some areas.  That's not always a bad thing though for writers to leave you to your imagination.

The premise of the story...there's a baby born...and found in the barn...that had passed away.  According to the Amish...no one was pregnant...but the clues lead to a young unwed Amish girl.  Did she have the baby and then rid herself of the burden so as to try to hide her turning from her faith's rules?  Or did someone else have a baby?  Or did someone else kill the baby?  So many questions.  Plus a lawyer who has to live amongst the Amish...someone typically used to electricity.

It's an enjoyable read...some long shots but easily forgotten...okay when i wrote that...I realized that the lawyer being ordered to live on the farm by the judge really bothers me...so other THAN THAT...I really liked this story.  But then again, I really enjoy stories about the Amish and the Little House on the Prairie way of living.

That's it for now...I will give Jodi Piccoult's The Plain Truth four out of five stars.  I may have to put her books on their own scale according to her style of writing...there are so many!!!

Happy Reading!  Spring...the rainy time of year when you can always curl up with a good book!!!

Best!

No comments:

Post a Comment