Welcome to my blog!

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." -Dr. Seuss

Thanks for stopping by. I really hope that you take something away from this blog, even if it's just a book recommendation that leads you to a new series or new author that you will enjoy. I know that by keeping this blog, it's encouraging me to try new genres and to expand my horizons as far as reading new books, rereading old, and I'm even inspired to read the classics that I've missed. Because I'm a mom of four, I'll also be adding children's books into my reviews as I try to spend time reading with my kids on a regular basis. So why not review those as well and share them with you?

Books, for me, have always been great escapes. I remember being stranded on the island with the Swiss Family Robinson when I was 10 years old and it was a great place to be as I was having a rough childhood at the time. I flew away with Peter Pan and traveled with Meg through wrinkles in time, in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. Now that I mostly read 'grown up' books, I don't travel to islands but I do live in someone else's world (or mind) for a while and it's a great way to get away from it all even if for a short time every day.

Enjoy my blog and as always, happy reading!

Karen

New England is home

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl




http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Creatures-Kami-Garcia/dp/0316042676/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366902310&sr=1-1&keywords=beautiful+creatures


I liked this book.  At first it was slow and not all that intriguing.  But about 3/4 of the way through it, I was hooked and had to know what was happening.

I give it about 3.5 stars because I wish I had been hooked earlier...but it was an easy read...there were some interesting characters, though I wish the authors had developed the relationships between the characters a bit more as there were some times when I thought the main character was acting like he knew a character more than they had let on in the book.

Overall for a first book in the series, it was okay and I will definitely pick up Beautiful Darkness at some point to read though it's not urgent like it was with Harry Potter or Twilight...it's just a whenever I get the time sort of thing. 

Those are my thoughts!


***Update, I picked up the second book but haven't started it yet.  Will let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment