Welcome to my blog!

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." -Dr. Seuss

Thanks for stopping by. I really hope that you take something away from this blog, even if it's just a book recommendation that leads you to a new series or new author that you will enjoy. I know that by keeping this blog, it's encouraging me to try new genres and to expand my horizons as far as reading new books, rereading old, and I'm even inspired to read the classics that I've missed. Because I'm a mom of four, I'll also be adding children's books into my reviews as I try to spend time reading with my kids on a regular basis. So why not review those as well and share them with you?

Books, for me, have always been great escapes. I remember being stranded on the island with the Swiss Family Robinson when I was 10 years old and it was a great place to be as I was having a rough childhood at the time. I flew away with Peter Pan and traveled with Meg through wrinkles in time, in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. Now that I mostly read 'grown up' books, I don't travel to islands but I do live in someone else's world (or mind) for a while and it's a great way to get away from it all even if for a short time every day.

Enjoy my blog and as always, happy reading!

Karen

New England is home

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Fear Nothing - Review


FEAR NOTHING
Author, Dean Koontz
Hmmmm. This book was an odd book. I went through a lot of different feelings about this book while reading it. At one point, I was amazed and scared out of my mind, another time, I started thinking...okay this plot seems to be heading to the corny side. I will say Mr. Koontz saved it in time and turned things around a little bit...but I also felt there was alot left unexplained. I may have missed it...I did not go back through to ensure that it was actually left out...the explanations...and then one of the characters seemed to know things just because he suddenly knew them...rather than someone telling him...so for a character to be completely in the dark about something on page one and then to have medical, scientific knowledge towards the end without someone actually spelling it out seemed to be a little far fetched.
There was also some things never solved...the attic at the rectory, for instance.
Dean Koontz did give his writing his usual flair...this was a page turner regardless of the plot and there was one scene so scary in the upstairs of the Ferryman residence, I had to put the book down and go talk to people to escape the scene...but only for a few because I wanted to plow on to get through the scene so it wouldn't haunt me. ...so there is definitely a great CREEP factor in this one.
So if you want to be scared...but walk away with a tiny bit of confusion...this is a great book. The confusion isn't so much that this book is lacking as a satisfactory read though. I appreciated Mr. Koontz's style of writing as usual and even more so as he came up with some things in this one that I never really thought about. I was looking at my cats in a whole new light last night...wondering.
One item that deserves special mention and kudos is some of the thoughts that go through the characters' minds in Mr. Koontz's books. I would like to share one in particular though there are many that I found profound enough to flag.
"How strange this world is. Those things that we can so readily touch, those things so real to the senses--the sweet architecture of a woman's body, one's own flesh and bone, the cold sea and the gleam of stars--are far less real than things we cannot touch or taste or smell or see. Bicycles and the boys who ride them are far less real than what we feel in our minds and hearts, less substantial than friendship and love and loneliness, all of which long outlast the world." Page 60
That statement says so much. How fleeting are the moments in the physical in our lives...but the feelings we live and survive and cherish...go on endlessly. Amazing.
For chill factor, I would give this book a 4.5 star rating. For character development, 3.5 stars, for conclusion, 3 stars (because I know what he was trying to do, it's my personal dislike of this sort of ending that causes me to rate this way). This is still a rough draft of my rating system but for the time being, it will do.
So that leaves this book with an overall rating of 3.5 stars.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment