Welcome to my blog!

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." -Dr. Seuss

Thanks for stopping by. I really hope that you take something away from this blog, even if it's just a book recommendation that leads you to a new series or new author that you will enjoy. I know that by keeping this blog, it's encouraging me to try new genres and to expand my horizons as far as reading new books, rereading old, and I'm even inspired to read the classics that I've missed. Because I'm a mom of four, I'll also be adding children's books into my reviews as I try to spend time reading with my kids on a regular basis. So why not review those as well and share them with you?

Books, for me, have always been great escapes. I remember being stranded on the island with the Swiss Family Robinson when I was 10 years old and it was a great place to be as I was having a rough childhood at the time. I flew away with Peter Pan and traveled with Meg through wrinkles in time, in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. Now that I mostly read 'grown up' books, I don't travel to islands but I do live in someone else's world (or mind) for a while and it's a great way to get away from it all even if for a short time every day.

Enjoy my blog and as always, happy reading!

Karen

New England is home

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Salem Falls-Review


(image courtesy of Amazon.com)
Salem Falls
Author, Jodi Piccoult
This is my second trip into the world of Jodi Piccoult as she seems to be a very popular NH author. I do like that her books are set in New England towns...gives me that warm sense of home. Typically her books are about small towns...but big happenings in those small towns.
Salem Falls is about a small town in which a stranger moves in...and people begin to judge based on past histories without seeing the actual truth. At some points in the story, you question what the truth will be...but all in all you sort of, in the back of your head, know how it's going to come out. It's a story of people learning to love again, to trust, to heal, and of course, attention seeking teenagers thrown in for some dramatic effect. The reason for the title? Those attention seeking teenagers like to dabble a little in witchcraft. However, this is not a supernatural thriller or a book involving magic...it is just something kids are playing with and the witchcraft stops there.
Jodi gives us good pictures of her characters. You love them, you hate them, you feel for them, you understand why they do what they do and you get aggravated with their lack of communication with the other characters. So she really puts you into the drama that is unfolding. What I don't like...the lack of justice in this book. Perhaps that isn't a good description of what it is that bothers me.
This book left me with a little bit of an itch that was not scratched when it all came to an end. I guess one could give Jodi Piccoult kudos in writing "real life" because after all, in real life, not every issue is resolved, not every person knows the outcome, and sometimes life is left hanging in the balance for some.
But at the same time, that is real life, and I was reading this book to get away from those unresolved issues...we have those daily in the news and on crime TV. She definitely doesn't leave you hanging like Danielle Steele does (or used to as I haven't read a Danielle Steele book in about 15 years or more) but when I'm reading someone else's story, I prefer that justice be served and that I am left with a feeling of resolution.
So if you don't mind walking away with a feeling of frustration, aggravation of horrible people getting away with horrible things and suffering continuing in the back of your mind (for the characters) then this would be a good story for you. If not, walk away.
I would like to get more technical in my star giving and will eventually be coming up with a rating system but for now, I will say, great writing, great plot, great characters, unnerving ending and for the sake of the feeling I walked away with....
the Critical Librarian gives Salem Falls 3.5 Stars (out of 5).

No comments:

Post a Comment