Welcome to my blog!

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." -Dr. Seuss

Thanks for stopping by. I really hope that you take something away from this blog, even if it's just a book recommendation that leads you to a new series or new author that you will enjoy. I know that by keeping this blog, it's encouraging me to try new genres and to expand my horizons as far as reading new books, rereading old, and I'm even inspired to read the classics that I've missed. Because I'm a mom of four, I'll also be adding children's books into my reviews as I try to spend time reading with my kids on a regular basis. So why not review those as well and share them with you?

Books, for me, have always been great escapes. I remember being stranded on the island with the Swiss Family Robinson when I was 10 years old and it was a great place to be as I was having a rough childhood at the time. I flew away with Peter Pan and traveled with Meg through wrinkles in time, in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. Now that I mostly read 'grown up' books, I don't travel to islands but I do live in someone else's world (or mind) for a while and it's a great way to get away from it all even if for a short time every day.

Enjoy my blog and as always, happy reading!

Karen

New England is home

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Secret Life of Bees by sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd


"You have to find a mother inside yourself.  We all do.  Even if we already have a mother, we still have to find this part of ourselves inside." --August Boatwright, The Secret Life of Bees.

Quite a time after I started the book, I have restarted and finally finished this novel.  This story is described as a sort of coming of age novel but I found it to be so much more than that...probably because of my own experiences and perspective.  As you know, everyone brings his or her own perspective to each book one reads, so for me, reading a book about a motherless girl caused me to connect with Lily in so many ways.  She was searching for something and she found it where no white man thought she should find it at the time in a house full of "colored women."  I can relate to that as well as my family didn't agree with some of my friends as I was growing up.  I've seen a world of difference since my childhood days.  As August says, I have found the mother inside myself, as I'm breaking the cycle and have become a foster parent but I think she meant that you have to find that part of you that you can rely on to take care of you.  I think I'm still searching for that, and we probably all search for that our whole lives.

I think if I didn't have the perspective that I do have, this would have been an easy read.  It has some seriously traumatic events but I have to say I didn't cry.  I probably would have cried if I hadn't seen the movie though as I was expecting these things.  I don't typically rate movies but I definitely give Dakota Fanning, Queen Latifah and the other main characters (sorry, I am not going to look up names) kudos for bringing life to these characters.  I am glad that I read this book.  It's probably not one that I will read over and over.  I may read it again someday ten years from now but it was a good story, I'm glad I read it, now I can move on with the next story if that makes sense.  I think because it's filled with so much emotion...it's a heavy story to lay on your heart.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment