Welcome to my blog!

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." -Dr. Seuss

Thanks for stopping by. I really hope that you take something away from this blog, even if it's just a book recommendation that leads you to a new series or new author that you will enjoy. I know that by keeping this blog, it's encouraging me to try new genres and to expand my horizons as far as reading new books, rereading old, and I'm even inspired to read the classics that I've missed. Because I'm a mom of four, I'll also be adding children's books into my reviews as I try to spend time reading with my kids on a regular basis. So why not review those as well and share them with you?

Books, for me, have always been great escapes. I remember being stranded on the island with the Swiss Family Robinson when I was 10 years old and it was a great place to be as I was having a rough childhood at the time. I flew away with Peter Pan and traveled with Meg through wrinkles in time, in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. Now that I mostly read 'grown up' books, I don't travel to islands but I do live in someone else's world (or mind) for a while and it's a great way to get away from it all even if for a short time every day.

Enjoy my blog and as always, happy reading!

Karen

New England is home

Monday, May 9, 2011

Witch & Wizard, James Patterson (and Gabrielle Charbonnet)



This was an easy, fun read.  I found it in Walmart's book section and even though I told myself I would not purchase anymore books until I got rid of some, I allowed myself to purchase this book and the new Charlaine Harris (HBO's TrueBlood series) book because it was my birthday week (any excuse I can find..lol).  I had heard about this book but couldn't remember what I had heard nor where I had heard it...and as you can see from my other book interests...well witches and wizards (and vampires) are my thing.  So I picked it up.  I read this book in about four or five days...VERY easy book to read.  This book is about a brother and sister who find out they are a wizard and a witch.  How they find out is very quick...and how they learn is kind of odd...things suddenly start happening to them. 

This book sort of starts off in the middle of HUGE changes to the world, and it left me with a lot of questions.  Why didn't the kids know they were in trouble...the parents would have known what was happening in the world of government...why weren't they preparing their kids before the night on which our story starts?  And some of it...well, the kids should have been aware of such huge changes to law and government.  Okay as a teenager I wasn't aware of much political, but there were huge things that happened while I was a teen.  Reagan being shot, Space Shuttle Challenger exploding during launch, Satan taking over as head of the country...these are things I was or would have been aware of in my teen years.  So I'm confused as to why these kids were so in the dark about what was happening.

Also, I think more history would have helped.  Whit had a relationship with a girl...I would have liked to have known more about this relationship so I could have felt more emotion for him as he sort of loses the ability to have this relationship with this girl.  I don't want to give away too much...but I would have liked to have felt sad about that but I wasn't involved enough in their past to feel for them.

Because I bought this in Walmart, there isn't much of a separation between teen/tween books and adult books, and I initially thought this book was geared towards adults...the author being Patterson, the cover, etc.  After reading a chapter or two, I think it is geared more toward early teens.  I don't have an issue with that of course being an avid Harry Potter and Twilight fan...but even those read a bit more maturely than this book.  I think this one was a bit younger.  As I am currently reading Winn Dixie and will be reviewing that book soon, I am not saying I wouldn't have read it had I known it was geared for teens.  There is at least one more book, and possibly more, I haven't looked into this as of yet so I believe I'm caught in yet another series (eeeeeeeeeek not another series!!!!!), and yes, I will read the next one.   I am intrigued enough to want to find out what happens to our young hero and heroine, Whit and Wisty.

So it was missing some information and some history about relationships and family.  I know sometimes reading a teen book from an adult view...well the teens might not feel like those things are missing at all so I don't want to take too much away from the book rating for that.  I tend to ask questions and don't like it when there isn't enough explanation.  I've been told before to use my imagination, and I do to a certain extent...but I don't want to write the story...know what I'm saying?

I did like that the point of view varied.  One chapter would be from Whit's point of view and the next might be from Whit again or it might be from Wisty's point of view.  That was interesting as there was some exciting scenes that were fun to see from both sides...the person seeing and the person experiencing the "event."  Again, don't want to give too much away but just remember FIRE if you do read the book.

Okay...so rating...this is a hard one.

 I think your tween/teen would like it if they like the idea of suddenly finding out he or she is a witch or wizard...and no, this isn't like Harry Potter where these are unloved orphan children.  They have parents and a loving home...but they find out as they are getting into a messy situation...more like take on the world, save the world, save your parents type of heroes.  Wait, I have an idea...for a teen, I would rate this book 4 stars.  I definitely think the teens would like it...but I think even the teens would have some questions (please let me know if anyone out there has a teen that reads this and has an opinion...would LOVE to hear it).

Adult rating...2.5 stars.  Wow, that hurts to say that.  I hate not LOVING a book but I think more information would have made me absolutely LOVE it.  I'm hoping the next one gets better now that I know more. 

I like the points of view changes, I like the magic, I like the villains...The One who is The One seems interesting and I hope we get to know him a bit better in the next book (more missing info).  So there are lots of positives that can be used to build upon this tale.  OHHH and I almost forgot to mention.  James Patterson did not write this alone.  He wrote it with Gabrielle Charbonnet...and the next one looks like he writes with a different co-author so that could make a huge difference!!! We shall see!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment